A huge congratulations to our MD Hugh Johnstone for winning Young Contractor of the Year on Saturday night at CCNZ's 2016 awards.
Hugh is thrilled at the win and credits the strong team around him with making it possible. In his acceptance speech he made special note of the encouragement and support he has received from mentor and nominator Frank van Hattum of BP Oil New Zealand, his fantastic teams on site and in the office and his parents Malcolm and Heather for giving him the opportunities he has had in life.
The judges were very impressed with Hugh's passion for the industry, his leadership of project teams and the company as a whole and his enthusiasm for pushing himself to achieve different professional and personal goals. Achievements highlighted in the judges commentary include:
- Selected to lead the Anzac Day Cenotaph guard at Auckland War Memorial Museum and Ranfurly Home for 6 years running.
- Rotary Youth Leadership Awardee (2008)
- Op Rata II(9), Solomon Islands Deployment with the NZDF (2009)
- Top Soldier Junior Non-Commissioned Officers course (2010)
- Top Solider 3rd Auck North Battalion (2010)
- Finalist in NZDF Reservist of the Year (2010)
- Became Managing Director at Johnstone Construction and led the company to its largest turnover in history (2015)
A wonderful evening and a fitting testament to a hard working and inspirational man.